Harvey joined the firm of Harvey Lindsay and Company, now Harvey Lindsay Commercial Real Estate, in January 1954; elected President and CEO in 1969; currently serving as Chairman.
Received the CSM designation from International Council of Shopping Centers in 1978.
Received the CCIM designation from the Commercial-Investment Real Estate Institute in 1994.
- Graduated Episcopal High School, Alexandria, VA - 1947
- University of Virginia, BA in History - 1951
Two years active duty in the U.S. Marine Corps with service as platoon leader in Korea and six years in the Reserves. Attained the rank of Captain.
Board of Directors:
- Virginia Power and Dominion Resources, Inc. - Past
- Tidewater Scholarship Foundation
- Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance
- Norfolk State University Foundation
- Past Co-Chairman, Major Gifts Committee, Campaign for Old Dominion University
- Chairman of the Education Committee of the Norfolk Board of Realtors for three years, started Norfolk Realtors Institute; Vice President of the Board for two years, President in 1962.
- First President of YMCA of Norfolk.
- Citizens Advisory Committee, including 18 months as Chairman.
- One of the organizers and past Chairman of Urban Coalition of Norfolk, Inc.
- Director, Vice President and President of Norfolk Chamber of Commerce.
- Vice-Chairman United Communities Fund for three years, President and General Campaign Chairman in 1978.
- Board Member, Bank of Virginia-Eastern
- Board Member, Medical Center Hospitals, Inc.
- Chairman, Special Capital Accounts Drive, Four City United Way, for Southside Boys' Club.
- Board of Directors, YMCA of Tidewater
- Board member Mutual Federal Savings & Loan (now Cenit Bank for Savings)
- Board of Directors and President of Urban League Tidewater, Inc.
- Board of Directors, Norfolk Crime Line, Inc.
- Chairman, Steering Committee, United Way Capital Fund Campaign
- Board of Trustees, Norfolk Academy
- Tidewater Advisory Board, National Conference of Christians and Jews
- Board of Visitors, Norfolk State University. Served four years as Vice-Rector
- Board of Visitors, Medical College of Hampton Roads
- ODU Real Estate Center Board
- Co-Chairman Armed Forces Memorial Fund Raising Committee
Honors / Awards
- "Realtor of the Year Award" from Norfolk Board of Realtors, Inc., 1958
- "Distinguished Service Award" from Norfolk Junior Chamber of Commerce, 1964
- "Service to Mankind Award" from Norfolk Sertoma Club, 1980
- "Vivian Mason Meritorious Service Award" from Urban League of Tidewater, 1983
- "Brotherhood Citation" from the Tidewater Chapter of the National Conference of Christians and Jews, Inc., 1985
- "First Citizen Award" for the City of Norfolk from the Cosmopolitan Club, 1992
- "Liberty Bell Award" from the Norfolk-Portsmouth Bar Association, 1994
- "Downtowner of the Year Award" from the Downtown Norfolk Council, 1994
- "The Hunter Hogan Award" for excellence in retail commercial real estate presented at the ICSC, 1996
- "Marketing Excellence Award" from the Sales and Marketing Executives of Tidewater, 1997
Married Frances Martin and have five children - two sons, three daughters and fourteen grandchildren.
Member of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd. Served on the Vestry and as Junior and Senior Warden.